Sunday 22 February 2009

Unreasonable expectations

We went golfing today. Me, Mark and Chris headed off to Wavendon near Milton Keynes for 18 holes of fun. The weather is picking up a bit. It's still a bit cold, but it's not physically painful like it was back in December. Golf's brilliant. A good long walk in the countryside, some great chat etc, but there's no getting away from the fact that it's impossibly frustrating to play.

I started playing golf last year, and haven't had any lessons yet, so I'm not that great. I'm certainly not up to competing with Mark and Chris yet, but I'm trying hard and making baby steps in the right direction. The amazing thing though, is the unrealistic expectations I have about how my level of golf should be improving. I went round the course in 120 today. 60 for the front 9, 60 for the back. If I'm honest, I was really disappointed with my score, as it feels like I'm just not getting any better.

But wait! How long have I been playing? Have I had any proper training yet? NO! So why give myself a hard time about it I hear you asking. It's a mystery. I wouldn't expect to be able to pilot a boeing 747 after spending an afternoon in a flight simulator. For some reason, I expect to be able to find the green every time, playing faultless shots with my £17 golf set from a car boot sale.

I think it's a human condition. People put themselves under so much pressure to achieve things that are really way beyond their grasp. Not just in golf. Careers, relationships, homes, we all want things we can't have, at least not without really working on it first.

I'm looking forward to the next game. I'm going to try and chill out a bit and just relax and enjoy it rather than trying to hard. I just want to get under 120... if only i'd clubbed up on the 10th...

No comments:

Post a Comment