Monday 9 February 2009

I'm dreaming of a white birthday

It's been snowing here (see picture). Snowing and snowing and snowing. In fact, that's the first decent snow we've had for as long as I can remember, and that's about 15 years. Everyone knows the country runs to a halt when it snows. It's quite a novelty for a few days, but there's no real sign of relief, and one week later it's getting a bit tiresome.

My 32nd birthday was on the 3rd, so I enjoyed a snow covered birthday, and a curry from the Miraj in birdsfoot lane. Highly recommended.

There are some good things about the snow. It seems that hardship brings people together. I've seen a load more community spirit around the place since the snow hit, and I've been getting involved too. I had a great time helping people get their cars out of the snow with my magic rug, and warning people away from the black ice outside the pub. People seem to be letting their guard down a bit. Even on the train there's been the odd bit of casual conversation. It's all about the weather of course, but that's better than nothing. So let's hope the freezing cold and snow last for a bit longer, as well as the neighbourly attitude that goes with it. Maybe not that long though, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment